Okay guys! Kayloo’s Therapy Dog test is this weekend. We are DOWN TO THE FINAL STRETCH!
We just got back from a wonderful walk. An AMAZING walk. Dare I say a THERAPY DOG TEST ACING WALK!!!
No, I don’t dare say that… I’m a wimp… I take it back… Quick somebody throw some salt over your shoulder or give me a rabbit’s foot OR SOMETHING (actually, don’t with the rabbit’s foot, I think that is probably horribly cruel and as you can clearly see I can’t afford to carry around ANY bad karma with me at this particular juncture thankyouverymuch).
I’ve been checking out the Canine Good Citizen requirements and I think we’re mostly okay on most of the tests:
- Test 1: Accepting a friendly stranger- I think we’ll be okay here because Kayloo thinks almost everyone is her new best friend. It’s a little of: HI! Oh my god, I love you! I’m so lucky to meet you… and OH! You too! Come a little closer so we can attach at the hip. It says however that she isn’t allowed to “break position.” If the “position” happens to be threading her tongue up into the evaluators nose, we should be fine.
- Test 2: Sitting politely for petting- I’m concerned about the “polite” part, but she will be all over someone oozing attention all over her.
- Test 3: Appearance and grooming- Kayloo’s hot. Check. Check. Check.
- Test 4: Out for a walk- She is doing much MUCH better, but she is not perfect. She’ll be in a completely new place so she will be very curious.
- Test 5: Walking through a crowd- She’s usually pretty great about this, unless one of the people in the crowd has a skateboard. If someone has a skateboard she may stop and tilt her head this way and that way and thiswayandthatwayand… forever and ever until the evaluator falls asleep and/or kicks us out.
- Test 6: Sit down on command and staying in place- We should be good here.
- Test 7: Coming when called- No problem (unless some sly dog has a steak behind his back. Then we’re toast).
- Test 8: Reaction to another dog- Kayloo will be fairly interested in the other dog. The plan is to have her good and played out before the test, but it is very unlikely she would walk away from an opportunity for a good hearty “get all up in your grill” bum sniff.
- Test 9: Reaction to distraction- There will be lots of head tilting.
- Test 10: Supervised separation- Apparently we won’t be tested on this, but if we were Kayloo would be like, “Hey, where did that blonde- HEY NEW PERSON I LOVE YOU, WHO ARE YOU?!!!”
Kayloo will do just fine. If not, we can always take the test again, right? RIGHT?! Just kidding, I’m actually not freaking out that much. The only way Kayloo can do well is if I am nice and chill so please send lots and lots o’ chill vibes our way in the days leading up to having a total kanipshin doing our very best.
Thank you, much!
If you liked this post and you would like to share it, that would be super! Thank you so much!