R.O.A.R. Squad: Nan and her dog, Chi

R.O.A.R. Squad: Rescue Owners Are Rockin’

R.O.A.R. Squad: Nan and her dog, Chi

A huge welcome to author Nan and Tai Chi Maria Marino from New Jersey… that is the greatest name EVER! Thank you so much for joining the R.O.A.R. Squad

Human: Nan Marino (check out her blog and her website)

Marketing Associate/Pet: Tai Chi Marie Marino “Chi” for short.

About Nan: My name is Nan Marino. I’m the author of the middle grade school novel “Neil Armstrong is My Uncle and Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me” (Roaring Brook Press, 2009).  I live at the Jersey Shore with my husband and dog, Chi. As soon as I got the book deal, Chi became an important member of my marketing team. She’s featured in my class presentations and there are frequent pictures of her on my blog. You can find my blog at www.nanmarino.blogspot.com

Breed: Chi has the ears of a German Shepherd, but she has Golden Retriever coloring. She is her own breed.

Age:  She’s around 9 or 10 (She was around 1 or 2 when we met)

Much Better Than a Dining Room Table: I told my husband I was going shopping for a dining room table and ended up at the Town of Oyster Bay Animal Shelter.  As soon as I saw Chi (in the very first cage) I knew she should be part of our family.  And the moment my husband met Chi, he agreed.

All About Chi:

• Without ever being taught, she knows the command “go wake up…”.  No need for alarm clocks here. We have Chi.
  • When you come into the house, she’ll greet you, and then herd you into the room where the other family members are.  She loves it when everyone is together.
  • She sighs, heavy human-sounding sighs.
  • Chi is a great writing companion. She sleeps under my chair while I write.
  • When she wants attention, she’ll go to the coffee table and pull the bookmarks out of the books. We’re big readers in this house, so the coffee table is always filled with books. But sometimes bookmarks are hard to find.

Where: New Jersey

Want to meet another writer? Check out Pam Townsend and her dogs!

Join the R.O.A.R. Squad

Do you want to be join the R.O.A.R. Squad? Our goal is to make having a rescue animal THE coolest thing around. Ya game? Perfect! We’d love to have you!

Send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!

14 Responses to “R.O.A.R. Squad: Nan and her dog, Chi”

1. Scoop says:

That IS so much better than a new dining room table! But maybe you should get one now to protect your bookmarks.

Darby does the heavy human sounding sigh too–usually right after I sigh–so she learned it from me I guess.

2. Just for the record, I’d curl up on the sofa with my owner if she was showing me a brochure with beaches and palm trees. I’m just sayin’ …

3. nan marino says:

Scoop, she IS better than a table. Chi sighs when she’s frustrated & when she wants us to do something. I always think her sighs mean “I love my humans very much, but they’re not very bright.” btw, Darby sounds very cute.

Rod, Chi loves travel brochures (but in the same way she loves bookmarks). I read a lot of children’s books so Chi does too. In the picture, we’re reading “Where the Wild Things Are” by Maurice Sendak. She’s also fond of “Bad Kitty”, a book by Nick Bruel.

4. Leslie says:

What a beautiful dog! Agree with all – much better than a dining room table! Won’t ask how you got the furniture store mixed up with the animal shelter – happens to me all the time. 😉

Too funny.

5. She looks like a really gorgeous girl! Love the bookmarks hobby… Does she use them for her own reading material?

6. nan marino says:

Leslie, It was an odd day. I wasn’t even close to the furniture store. And I didn’t even know I knew where the animal shelter was. The conversation where I called my husband and told him about Chi was one of those great-moments-in-marriage type of calls. Me: “Guess what? I found a dog”. Husband: “I thought you were going for a dining room table?” Of course, they are best friends now.

Status Viatoris, The bookmark caper is my fault. I taught her to rip up my rejection letters. Now all paper (bookmarks, money, etc) is fair game. And she always gets a good reaction from us so it has to be fun for her.

7. Leslie says:

@nan- LOL – ok – THAT made me laugh out loud. (Could it be because I’ve had my share of “great-moments-in-marriage”?) 🙂

Glad to have found your blog – I suspect I’ll be a regular.

8. I love the happenstance that led you to bring Chi into your family. And I love all the small details you included about Chi; I feel like I really do know her.

9. nan marino says:

Leslie, That conversation felt surreal. We probably should have talked about getting a dog first, but it worked out really well.
    Shauna, Thank you for letting me post about Chi on your blog. What a great idea to have a blog about shelter dogs and to create a community of people who love them. Since you contacted me, I’ve made a point of telling everyone that Chi is a shelter dog and every time I tell a story about her (which is frequently) I tell people where she came from. I hadn’t done that before so I think that your blog is helping to create awareness. And perhaps it will encourage others to adopt a dog from those shelters.
    Two Pitties in the City, Glad you feel like you got to know Chi. 🙂

10. @Nan- Thank you so much for saying that. I think there are so many people like you doing so many wonderful things about rescues. I hope the more we talk about it, the more we will encourage people to do the same.

11. Mui Bolter says:

Thumbs up for that meaning yes. It gives the whole information.

I’m very distracted by Where The Wild Things Are…