Blog the Change: R.O.A.R. Squad

Blog the ChangeBlog the Change is all about blogging about a cause “near and dear to your heart.” So I thought I would take this chance tell you all about the R.O.A.R. Squad!

In April 2010 the R.O.A.R. Squad was launched into the blogosphere and my blog… oh no my LIFE would never be the same again. “R.O.A.R.” stands for Rescue Owners Are Rockin’ and the project is all about making adopting a pet THE coolest thing around.

You can check out all the current R.O.A.R. Squad members here.

I figure if Michael Jordan can make measly SHOES cool I am CERTAIN we can make adopting cute, slobbery, adorable, snuggly animals cool. I mean, come on. We’re exceptionally hot. And slap-your-knee funny.

Me and my rescue Kayloo, the inspiration for the R.O.A.R. Squad.

And exceptionally hot.

The last 3 months have been a whirlwind of Fabulous. My goal has been to recruit rescue owners from all walks of life, from all across the States and Canada, and with every kind of rescue pet under the sun. My ultimate goal is the following:

• to recruit at least one rescue owner from every state in the U.S.A.
  •  to recruit at least one rescue owner from every province and territory in Canada

Jim and his rescue dog, Zeus

And to do all of this in exactly one year: by April 2011. So, I’ve got 9 months left.

Holy crap. The long and the short of it is I HAVE MY WORK CUT OUT FOR ME. But fortunately I’m not doing this alone and with the help of our current and prospective energetic R.O.A.R. Squad members, we are DEFINITELY going to get there.

Cate and her cat, Poppet

The Numbers and Stuff:

In 3 months we have come incredibly far:

• we now have Squad members from 37% of the U.S. states
  • we now have Squad members from 23% of the Canadian provinces/territories
  • we have one international entry (from Italy!)

April, Amos and their dog, Daisy

Every single person who has taken part is interesting and inspiring. I am overwhelmed. Some of the rockin’ recruits include:

Lauren and Darby

We also have some Blog the Change name-dropping cred:

I am loving this project and I am loving meeting so many dedicated, funny, intriguing people. Join us!

Join the R.O.A.R. Squad

Do you want to be join the R.O.A.R. Squad? Our goal is to make having a rescue animal THE coolest thing around. Ya game? Perfect! We’d love to have you!

Send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!

Justine and her (female) dog, Marcus

24 Responses to “Blog the Change: R.O.A.R. Squad”

1. Wow! You guys are doing amazing work! We wish you tremendous success in your quest!

The Road Dogs

2. cate says:

The R.O.A.R Squad is such a great idea, well done Shauna! Love little Kayloo too!

3. Maggie says:

Great job with all your hard work promoting rescue!! You’ve done such a phenomenal job with such a cool project. And thank you so, so much for plugging the end BSL postcard project. I sincerely appreciate the kind words!!

4. Peggy says:

I love this! My Kelly is a rescue dog, so I emailed you our information! ROAR! I hope you find lots of great support on the Blog the Change Day.

5. Stopping by with Be the Change for Animals. Thank you for all you do to help animals in need. Hope you will be able to visit us too.

Felissa, Davinia, and Indiana

6. You highlighting the R.O.A.R. Squad members and their pets is fantastic for bringing attention to the joys of owning a Rescue dog. Thanks for all that you do Shauna!

• This is awesome, you guys, thank you so much for your support!

We’re getting a bunch of submissions for the R.O.A.R. Squad today- woot!

JOIN THE R.O.A.R. SQUAD! It’ll make you even cooler than you already are! 🙂

OK ive been meaning to ask, Since you like words that end in O did you try and use an acronym that ended in O?

• @Kari- I did try to find an “O” ending acronym! Alas, I failed. I didn’t get very far though because I kind of fell in love with “R.O.A.R.”- I mean it’s tough, loud, makes you feel strong saying it! Originally it was going to be “Project R.O.A.R.” but it bugged me because it felt like chewing every time I tried to say it.

R.O.A.R. Squad. Much better 🙂

8. We love that you highlighting the R.O.A.R. Squad members and their pets (and not just because we are a part of that cool pack :0)

Bringing attention to the joy and love of owning a Rescue dog is pretty groovy too. Big kiss and hug from Cleo and Sharon aka @grouchypuppy

9. Aww Shauna,

You know how much we LOVE the R.O.A.R. Squad. You are so creative and you’ve taken this initiative so far in such a short time. Congratulations and we can’t wait to read all the new entries! Oh, and we like eyebrow funnies and being called Ted too. 🙂

Big hugs,
    Kim (and Amy by proxy)

10. We can’t wait to join the R.O.A.R. Squad! (I even tried last weekend to get a picture of myself with both pups, up on the top of a beautiful mountain, but they were – can you believe it? – being uncooperative.) You’re doing such an awesome job spreading great rescue stories! 😀

11. Ashley says:

I have loved reading all the R.O.A.R. squad post so much! It was such a brilliant idea to launch, I’m kind of jealous I didn’t think of it first 😉

Shauna, you rock and deserve oodles of baked goodies.

12. And we’ve enjoyed reading about everyone. Now we just have to get our act together and send in our photos…

13. Color me a little behind the curve, but I’ve seen wondering what the ROAR squad is. Now I know! What a terrific idea. Great post for Blog the Change.

14. Pip says:

Hi – just hopping through the blog hop! I heard about the ROAR squad through the Teacher’s Pet blog!

This is an amazing project! Keep up the great work!

Your pal, Pip

15. […] Fido & Wino talked about the growth of the R.O.A.R. Squad, a project launched to make “adopting a pet the coolest thing around.” […]

16. But what about the pitbulls that really do attack dogs? Here’s some pics from a pitbull attack at a nice friendly park http://www.chubbystud.com/ Chubbas been going there for years,… And no, the dog didn’t deserve it. Nor was this the 1st time we’ve seen a pit bull make another dog a victim. Horrible thing about it, the owner said it happened because he had his balls. I love pits, but there has to be something to prevent the psycho ones from reproducing.

• @BSL- Thank you for sharing your story, I am very sorry to hear about Chubbas! I do believe, however, that your support of BSL (breed specific legislation) is misplaced. Obviously I don’t have all the details, but it sounds like the dog that attacked your dog is undersocialized and the owner needs to show some responsibility (and get to a professional dog trainer asap). It doesn’t matter if it is a chihuahua, a yorkie, a doberman or a pitbull if it is attacking- an undersocialized dog should be not be at an off leash park… any dog attack* is unacceptable. It is especially important to socialize strong breeds because of their strength and their potential to do damage.

I would strongly urge you to check out Oh My Dog! and Maggie’s campaign to end BSL in Denver: http://ohmydogblog.com/campaign-to-end-bsl-operation-denver/ Targetting a breed does not get to the root of the problem, which is the dog owner. The stats have shown time and time again that BSL just does not work (dog bites do not go down). People who are not interested in training/exercizing them should not own a dog, regardless of breed.

*Just for the record – dogs have “squabbles” all the time and that is healthy and normal. What I am talking about here is the serious kind of bite that you dog clearly received- that is obviously not okay and that dog and owner should be involved in some serious training/rehabilitation. That dog is most likely the way he/she is because of the owner. 9 times out of 10 training and proper handling can have a great and positive impact on this kind of behaviour (they should be with a professional trainer to treat this dog’s aggression issues).