Namesake

The human? That's Kay. The stoic looking dog? That's Miss Kayloo.

What in the hell kind of name is “Kayloo”?

Thank you for asking so politely.ย I will now take this time to tell you.

John and I adopted Kayloo from the Victoria Pet Adoption Society via Petfinder.com. Before Kayloo was to claim the Head Tilting Tierra with our family, she was tripping the light fantastic with the name the Adoption Society gave her: The lovely “Laloo.”

Want to ooh and aah? Here is a pic of Kayloo as a wee pupย (she was still “Laloo” at this point).

See that lovely lady in the photo above? That’s Kay (we saw her at the adoption fair I spoke at in June). Kay works for the Victoria Pet Adoption Society and was the one who introduced us to “Laloo.” She interviewed John and I, came to our house at 10am on a Saturday to check out our home, and endured email upon long email and question upon trying question from yours truly. I am nothing if not thorough. ย

On the night John and I went to pick Kayloo up from the Adoption Society, Kay asked if she could have a moment, a last moment, with Kayloo before we took her home. Afterwards, Kay handed me the leash, smiled and gave Kayloo a final loving scratch behind her ear. Her eyes were damp as the three of us turned and walked out the door into the cold. So were mine.

In honour of how awesome we think Kay andย the Victoria Pet Adoption Society are, we combined Kayloo’s first name with that of her first mom’s name:

Laloo + Kay = Kayloo

And that is how Kayloo got her name.

12 Responses to “Namesake”

1. That picture of bebeh Kayloo is super adorable!! I’m getting puppy fever!

2. alexa says:

That is soooo sweet! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. blanket says:

Definitely a big Ooo and ahh at baby Kayloo! We love VPAS too they really care so much!
    Kayloo is beautiful ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Roo says:

Kayloo – very good name with a happy story ๐Ÿ™‚

Mine use to be Harry Potter. My parents thought this wasn’t such a good fit for me so they changed it to Rudy (after Rudolph the Red Nosed Raindeer) because my nose is red; Roo (because I can and do jump like a kangaroo); My friends just call me Roo ๐Ÿ™‚

Please do send me info on R.O.A.R.

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
    Roo

5. That is such a nice story. Miss M was originally named after one the the vet techs that worked with her: Jackie. I couldn’t see her as a Jackie. For awhile I tried “Jackie O” which would have been a nice name if Miss M were actually dainty and elegant and didn’t look like a monster. We ended up looking for a rocker chick name, which in retrospect is really just a 90’s one-hit wonder band.

6. Kay rocks. Kayloo spent her first Christmas with Kay as well… huge soft spot for the VPAS!

7. Kate says:

Thanks for sharing this story! I think Kayloo is the BEST dog name, and it’s even better now that I know the cute reason.

8. Ashley says:

That story made me emit the biggest, starting-from-the-diaphragm “Aww” I think I’ve ever awwed. And as Karen commented, baby Kayloo gave me incredible puppy fever.

Kayloo has a great naming story ๐Ÿ™‚

10. LuckyPups says:

Such a nice story and name!

I found you through the Saturday Blog Hop. I love your blog and am now a follower! I am the owner of a Pomeranian named Koda. If you have time come check out my blog about my Pom and Handmade Pet Products. I would love to have more followers! – LuckyPups Blog

Thank you!

11. Rescue workers are the kindest people on this planet. What a beautiful way to remember someone who helped you find your lovely Kayloo!