perfect fit

My parents came to visit a couple weekends ago. Saturday morning involved boot shopping for my dad. We checked out some Viberg’s. We didn’t find any, but I had an excellent time taking shots of their shop. And giving fashion advice to my dad. And teaming up with my mom to give more fashion advice to my dad.

My mom and dad arrived early Friday night. We went for dinner at a funky ancient pub and told stories and hummed and hahed over the menu and caught up. “Do you want to share a starter? You choose. No really, whatever you want, pick whatever you want. Are you sure? Do you want another beer?”

John says that he likes to see me with my folks because of how at ease I am. It’s true. It’s like I can put everything down when I’m around them. And sometimes you don’t even realize how much you’re carrying until you put it down.

When they first walked in the door, after the hugs and the jokes and the “how was the drive?” mom and I started to chatter and shuffle things around and get ready to head out for dinner, as we do. Dad moved into the living room and sat on the couch. Just chilled and shook the drive off. As he does.

A couple minutes later I looked in on my dad to see that Mickey had jumped onto the couch and was sitting on my dad’s lap. Mickey had just plopped himself down and was thoroughly at ease.

Mickey doesn’t do that. Well, he doesn’t do that to anybody but me. Occasionally he’ll jump onto John, but John says Mickey will only do that if I’m not around. He says he’s second string when it comes to a lap for Mickey.

“Hi, ya little hairball,” is my dad’s response.

“Do you want him off?” I’m not sure. My parents don’t have pets. They’re not used to hair all over their pants and their shirts and their socks and their even unmentionables.

“He’s alright.”

For the rest of the weekend I was second string.

I love that Mickey knew my dad was a safe spot for him. I love that he knew what I know.

15 Responses to “perfect fit”

1. Trude says:

That’s so awesome! Fantastic story. I love when my pup truly connects with someone. My lap has totally become second string to my BF’s when he’s around. :)

2. Amy says:

What a lovely post! Great timing too-my parents are coming to visit this weekend!

Funny how dogs can just be drawn like a magnet to some people

Kari

4. Ashley says:

I don’t know why, but this post made me a little teary eyed. I really am a sentimental nut job I guess. What a touching post.

5. This was such and well-written post. And I like the unexpected shoe pictures too.

6. Kate says:

Awwww! Dogs totally have that sense. It also works well in reverse too! My dog loves lots of people, but when he doesn’t like some one, we all know it. That’s awesome your dog clearly know your Dad is “home” too :)

7. Mel says:

Like Ashley – This post made me a little teary-eyed too. Maybe it was the comfortable feeling you described with your parents or the way Mickey chose your Dad, but it was sweet and touching. You not only have an eye for photography Shauna, but a way with words. It’s hard to convey feeling like you do. I see a book in your future.

BTW – Daisy doesn’t warm up to just anybody either, but one of my clients (the human kind) seems to have hit a spot with her. She always comes out to socialize with her. I like that.

• @Mel- Ahh Mel, that is so nice of you to say! I always feel so happy for people when my dogs dote on them. People just beam, it makes me smile to see people so smiley after getting slobbered over ;)

8. @Kari- There is something about being trusted by dogs and kids that is just… nice :)

9. @Ashley- Aww, thank you! I have a huge soft spot for my dad, I am glad it was able to reach your “sentimental nut job” side :)

10. @Two- Thank you so much! I fell in love with those old boots…

11. @Kate- When they were young I tried to get my dogs to “like” people and would push them into peoples waiting hands. But eventually I figured out that made no sense, if they like them, great! If not… then I give the people a treat to give them and if that still doesn’t work… then I guess they just don’t like ‘em ;)

12. [...] really wonderful (I’ll have some photos and stories to share soon). In a little over a month my parents came to visit AND John’s parents came to visit. This is one of the many perks to living back in Canada again [...]