R.O.A.R. Squad: Lindsey and Matt and their dogs, Nikita and Maska

A huge welcome to the latest R.O.A.R. Squad members: Lindsey and Matt from my home province of British Columbia!

These beautiful pups make me smile- and Maska hails all the way from Taiwan.

Read more about this wonderful family and how you can join the R.O.A.R. Squad after the jump (you are going to fall in love with these photos as much as I have, I guarantee it!).

Rockin’ Rescue Owners: Lindsey and Matt

Fabulous Rescues: Nikita and Maska

Priceless: My husband and I love the look on peoples faces when we explain that, no our beautiful dogs aren’t from a breeder, they are both rescues! Nikita and Maska don’t remember that they were abandoned or unloved (Maska has lasting emotional scars but he is coming around) they just know now that they have warm beds, good food, and a happy pack.

Love at First Sight: Nikita spent 6 months in the pound, being returned multiple times because people thought she was beautiful, but didn’t understand that huskies aren’t “easy dogs”; they aren’t quiet, they don’t always like to listen, they love to run (sometimes run… away) and they shed….a lot.  When we met her she was jumping at the chain link, howling, trying to get our attention. The well meaning pound master tried to walk us past her to a nice, well behaved lab and just shook his head when we inquired if she was up for adoption.  When I seen her, it was love at first sight. That was 6 years ago and we have never looked back.

From Taiwan with Love: Maska is from Taiwan and has been with us for 6 months, he is two and is still learning that he can walk down the street without fear of being hit, he can eat his food without having to fight for it, and that he won’t ever starve again.  He likes to eat the toilet paper off the roll and kleenex out of the box, we guess that he probably subsisted on paper for so long that we might not ever break that habit (his trainer suggested that we try giving him as much tissue as he wanted… after he ate about 15 of them and laid on top of the rest, guarding it for later we decided the occasional tissue wasn’t such a big deal after all).  There is a heart of gold under the bravado of a street dog.

Island Dogz: Maska’s immigration into Canada was facilitated by Island Dogz, a fantastic rescue on Vancouver Island working hard to save both local dogs and dogs abroad in Taiwan.  Maska came from a Taiwanese pound where he was slated to die if not adopted. Many pounds in Taiwan kill 200-400 dogs per week… yes week.  The founder of Island Dogz, Gem, (an amazing individual) works with a no kill shelter in Taiwan called T.U.A.P.A. T.U.A.P.A has 800-1,000 dogs, many of whom will spend their whole life there.  Gem helps these “dogz” find forever homes in British Columbia.

Where: British Columbia, Canada

Want to meet some more British Columbians? Check out Jennifer and Steven and their dog, Angel!

Join the R.O.A.R. Squad

Do you want to join the R.O.A.R. Squad? Our goal is to make having a rescue animal THE coolest thing around. Ya game? Perfect! We’d love to have you!

Send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!

Recruiting Members

We are well on our way to reaching our goal of finding at least one rescue owner from every state in the US and at least one rescue owner from every province and territory in Canada by April 2011. BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP!

We’re looking for rescue dogs, cats, rabbits, parrots… donkeys… snakes… we’re not biased around here. We just want rescues who have found fabulous homes! Check out all the R.O.A.R. Squad members HERE.

Recruiting for:

• South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

Everywhere Else:

• From somewhere else? Lemme know!

If your state/province/territory isn’t on this list, THAT’S OKAY! We still need you to join! Just keep your eyes and ears out for rescue owners from these places for me, k? Thanks!

I look forward to hearing from you!

14 Responses to “R.O.A.R. Squad: Lindsey and Matt and their dogs, Nikita and Maska”

1. Leesia says:

what beautiful huskies!! i wish more people would realize how many gorgeous purebreds can be found in shelters every day. so wonderful to see that these two finally have the loving home they deserve.

Gorgeous dogs! My very first dog was a Siberian named Nikita. No joke. She was destructive, a champion escape artist, terrified of thunder, didn’t like to be fussed over, and howled like a pro. I miss her every single day.

Island Dogz sounds like an incredible program. Thank you for sharing all about it.

3. Kim Clune says:

Wow! What an amazing rescue story! I love how this pack exemplifies that purebreds are available through shelters. And you don’t even have to go as far as Taiwan, but if you can … just wow. Teaching rescues what it means to feel safe offers rewards that no other experience can. kudos to you all for taking steps to do just that.

Oh My, those are some beautiful pups. If only I could talk the hubs into liking longhaired dogs

Kari

Dogs can be neglected and abused yet still trust in the goodness of man. Thankfully, angels walk this earth to prove it. All of you are beautiful – Hugs!

6. @Leesia- I agree! I really think that if people just opened their hearts and minds and did a bit of research they would realize rescue really is the route they would like to go!

7. @Kristine- Your Nikita sounds like a wonderful handful! That is such a beautiful name!

8. Heather says:

What a beautiful story. They both are so lucky to have found you.

9. @Kim- Yes, always trying to point out to people: you can adopt puppies & purebreds!

10. They are so beautiful! It’s unfortunate so many people don’t realize dogs need guidance and training, and they don’t want to put in the time to train or do breed research. I have also never heard about an adoption from Taiwan; it’s so interesting.

11. Lindsey says:

Thanks for all the great comments about our huskies :).

We love them both; the howling, the talking and the antics. Kristine, I have an idea how you must feel about your Nikita; once our girl is gone we will never find another like her! She is the most unique dog we have ever encountered. We are lucky though, she doesn’t find much that scares her, she actually loves watching fireworks and insists upon being fussed over, our 60lb lap dog. She is a total escape artist though.

As for our Taiwanese boy and the really abused rescues in general that we meet, all of them have had terrible experiences, but never lose their capacity to love or be loved. Some take extra time and work but they always suprise me when I see them a few months after the rescue. The apparent comfort they find in having someone to look to as a leader, the happiness that just seems to emanate from them….it’s amazing.
    We don’t think either of our guys are actually purebred, our girl is much to big and our boy too small, we hypothesize that Nikita is a Husky Mal cross and think that Maska is most likely Husky Jindo cross, but who knows really. We plan to DNA them both in the future just because we are curious. No matter what we love them.

12. @Lindsey- “The comfort they find in having someone to look to as a leader””- love that 🙂

Thank you again so very much for joining the R.O.A.R. Squad! I really hope some of your friends will join as well (thanks for posting on facebook!) and perhaps we’ll run into each other around these parts 😉

13. Lindsey says:

Shauna, I hope they do to join 🙂 We are hard to miss when out and about, usually Nikita is howling away at any dog she meets, trying to tell them that she is friendly and wants to play (although she usually just scares her would be friends away).

This is a great way to break the stereo types associated with rescue; “I can’t get a puppy” or “I can’t get the breed that I am looking for through rescue”. Thanks again for what you are doing to raise recognition for rescue, its great to see all of the rescue owners with their beautiful dogs.