new year’s potential

This was one of John’s Christmas gifts: framed photos of the dogs for his office (THIS one of Mickey (although I re-edited it so it looks less fluorescent and more natural, over editing, what?) and THIS one of Kayloo (changed the crop)).

I am in a very contemplative mood this New Years Eve. There is lots to write, I think… but I haven’t got it all sorted though in my brain yet. I do, however, know this:

I think 2011 is the year I am going to be putting together some New Year’s Resolutions. I am not a New-Year’s-Resolutions type person… but I think it’s time for that kind of forward thinking. I think it’s time to stand up straight, let out a whoop or two and embrace the hell out of the potential of every single day (or at least every other day… every third day? Whatever, I’ll nail down a plan).

Do you make New Year’s resolutions? If you do, can you share them? Maybe I can steal them.

So! Have a very happy and a very safe New Year’s, make out with someone who turns your crank at midnight, and I’ll chat with you in 2011!

15 Responses to “new year’s potential”

I love your gift. The photos are so cute and seem to capture their personalities.

My thoughts about the coming year are similar. It is way beyond past the time to start living each day with exuberance. How I am going to do this I have no clue, but the thought counts, yes?

Happy New Year! I hope yours has started off smashingly!

2. I never remember New Year’s Resolutions 5 days after I make them 😉 I am just trying to remind myself on a regular basis to be grateful for the blessings in my life and to try to find the silver lining for every storm cloud xoxox

3. Rick says:

I made some New Year resolutions to get fit and spend more time outside with the dogs. Hopefully, one will go well with the other.

Enjoy life more is my resolution

Kari

Hi Shauna: nice gift for the hubby 🙂 I don’t make New Years resolutions anymore because it just felt like I was putting pressure on myself all the time and who needs that. However, if I were to make a New Year’s resolution now it would be one: to get better at listening and paying attention to my instincts and inner self.

Happy New Year to you, John and the pups! Hugs!

6. @Kristine- Yes! I think once we “know” we can’t “unknow”- knowing it is time for change is the first step!

@Angelina- A while back I started saying “thank you” for everything that came my way, good & bad. 9 times out of 10 I was able to find something to be thankful, even for the horrible crappy stuff, if only that it gave me a chance to practice patience (WHOA. Sorry for the Oprah moment there. Hopefully that wasn’t annoying ;))

@Rick- Those are good ones! Part of why John agreed to dogs is he figured it would get this homebody out of the house more. He was right!

@Kari- I like that 🙂

@Kim- I think part of why I am thinking about resolutions right now is I feel like I *need* some pressure, I feel like I want it. I dunno, maybe resolutions won’t be the kick start I am thinking of… but maybe they will be! “Paying attention to my instincts”- I like that! It’s amazing how much we already know, if we just take the time to listen.

7. Darc says:

I liked this post about New Years Themes. A theme about what you are going to do differently – not a resolution. It’s not so do-or-die oriented. Softer, not about failing, but about thinking or doing differently most of the time.

8. Heather says:

Happy New Year to you too! We are opposite this year – I’m usually a New Years Resolution maker and this year I have decided to just let 2011 come as it will. But I want to hear yours when you get them defined!

9. […] I wonder if this rambling has something to do with my “resolutions“… have to think about that more I guess. […]

10. D Childs says:

Last year my only resolution was to “prepare for disaster.” While that may sound pessimistic, I wanted to ensure that should anything happen to me, my dog would be taken care of. I kept my resolution and as a result I have a guardianship plan for my dog in the event of my death, I have a list of pet friendly hotels and an emergency bag if we should have to evacuate our home in a natural disaster, and I have my dog’s microchip registered with three different organizations in the event he and I get separated. I feel better knowing that he will always be taken care of no matter what happens. This is the only resolution I have ever kept!

11. The start of 2011 has put me in a contemplative mood as well. This year I want to meet new amazing people and grow as a person. One of my new years resolutions is to go on a yoga retreat someplace exotic. Maybe Bali? Another might be to try new wines. Might have to try the Caliterra Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon you mentioned in one of your posts.

12. @Heather- I have been thinking and thinking… I will definitely post as soon as I get things sorted 🙂

13. @D- That is amazing… & has me thinking. My husband and I actually talked a little while ago about who we would want to take our dogs if something happened to both of us. Hard to think about… but necessary.

Thanks for your comment!

14. @Charlotte- I would love to go on a 10 day silent retreat… I’m not sure when that is going to happen but it *is* going to happen at some point 🙂

If you haven’t already tried it & you like cab sauv, I would recommend Cono Sur- they have a great organic as well 🙂 Let me know what you think!